Yesterday I finished an 8 week 5K app that I downloaded on my iPhone. The guy is apparently a huge deal in the marathon running world. (of which I have no clue) His name is Jeff Galloway & he teaches running in intervals and taking lots of walking breaks to train injury free. It works well for me as I have had 2 knee surgeries for my ACL & meniscus.
I really like the app and I had a lot of fun trying to reach the end as a goal. I took it easy and paced myself at 14 min miles on avg with the walking and running & I had it set at 1 min run/1 min walk intervals. Tomorrow, I’m going to start from the beginning & try to improve my time with 12 min miles & 2 min run/1 min walk intervals. He also has an app to train for a 10K but I think that’s too much right now. I do feel stronger in both mind & body. I’ve always HATED running but with the intervals it’s helped me to enjoy it. I really love to walk.
Here’s a screen shot of the app:
What I like about the app:
- Jeff Galloway talks you through the run with tips about your posture & stride. Also, he gives you positive affirmations like “You are getting stronger”
- There is a lot of information on the screen. You can see the time & the distance elapsed & remaining. Also, there’s a visual for the intervals. I use this on a treadmill so it’s in front of me & easy to track all of the information.
- There is music that is set to your pace. You can upload your own music to the app.
- It keeps track of your history of each running session.
- Oh, he also has a cute southern accent!