- Produce: 1/4 cup each of chopped onions, carrots, celery, potatoes; 1 cup canned fire roasted tomatoes; and 2 cups veggie broth
- Whole Grain: Fresh french bread
- Lean Protein: White beans & touch of parmesan cheese
- Plant-based fat: 1 tablespoon olive oil
- SASS: garlic, oregano, rosemary, black pepper
First I soaked white beans overnight. As always, be sure to add baking soda to soften the skin then the next day bring the beans to a boil with a bay leaf and simmer for an hour.
Then I did lots of chopping. I usually do a fine chop for soups but decided to do a rough chop and I liked it so much better. I use a Vidalia Wizard Chop that my mom gave me:
Saute onion, carrots & celery in olive oil for about 15 minutes because they are big chunks. Add the garlic in the last 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, diced potatoes, veggie broth & spices. Here’s the canned tomatoes I use which are my absolute favorite:
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Add the beans 5 minutes before serving to heat up. Here’s the soup simmering. This is 3 servings.
I did cheat and skipped my whole grain bread for just a plain baguette that I got for my husband. I toasted it and dipped it in the soup. For my husbands soup I chopped 2 slices of bacon in olive oil and then added the veggies and followed the same recipe. He really liked it and I will for sure make it again. Anything with olive oil, tomatoes & garlic I’m gonna love. I heated this up for 2 more meals and it tasted just as great.